Wondering how to send emails only to certain rows and skip others? How to send emails only to the new people added to the list? Select which email to send by filtering your spreadsheet.
Filtering your spreadsheet into segments is a simple way to follow-up on certain recipients or avoid resending emails to your list.
Click on the first row's number
Go to actions menu, click on the Filter icon
Click on the filter icon only once in order to create a filter. If you go in the Filter menu, and click "Create a new filter view", segmenting will not work in Mailmeteor as you will be creating a filter view.
Filter options, here we can select only people working at Space X
Here are the different types of filters you can choose in Google Sheets:
- Filter by condition: choose from a list of conditions or write your own. For example, if the cell is empty or if data is less than a certain number.
- Filter by values: uncheck any data points that you want to hide and click OK. If you want to choose all data points, click Select all. You can also uncheck all data points, by clicking Clear.
- Search: search for data points by typing in the search box. For example, typing "P" will shorten your list to just the names that start with P.
When your filter is on, you can play with options to target a specific audience. Filter allows you to show only the records you want to send emails to. To turn the filter off, click Data > Turn off filter.
Here is a step-by-step guide if you have a contact list and want to send a campaign to only to some of them. For example, you'd like to send emails only to those living in a specific country:
- 1.Filtre your spreadsheet as shown above
- 2.Select the "country" column and untick all status except USA. This will hide all rows except for the recipients have "USA" in the country column.
- 3.Open Mailmeteor and send a new campaign. Emails will be sent only to visible rows.
Here's a spreadsheet demo that gives you an idea on how it will look like after a few campaigns sent using filters:
Sending campaigns to all countries, then USA only, then outside USA.
Here is a step-by-step guide to engage back with recipients who have not taken action yet with your first email:
- 1.Filter your spreadsheet as shown above
- 2.Select the "Merge status" column and untick all status except "Emails opens". This will keep rows for recipients who have opened your email but did not click it yet
- 3.Open Mailmeteor and send a new campaign. It will create a new "Merge status" column next to the first one. You can monitor all your campaigns under the Tracking report.
Segmenting recipients is particularly useful if you want to split your contact list in smaller groups or to follow-up on campaigns. You can target people who did not click on your previous email for example.
This will be useful in case you want to email only people who were added recently to your list, or in case you need to resume sending emails after your last campaign.
- 1.Filter your spreadsheet
- 2.Select the "Merge status" column and make sur only "Blank" cells are visible
- 3.Open Mailmeteor and send a new campaign. Mailmeteor will send emails only to the people you haven't emailed yet. It will create a new "Merge status" column next to the first one. You can monitor all your campaigns under the Tracking report.
Using this method, you'll be able to re-run the same campaign once you add new records in your sheet!
If you prefer to watch a video, here's a tutorial on how to use filters with Mailmeteor: